From rat race to jungle: adventures in wonderland

Charting the adventures of a twenty something, leaving the 'better the devil you know' of London, and heading out to rural ayrshire for six months to live with boyfriend, before jetting to central america, for a 4 month expedition in the jungle.

Monday, July 03, 2006

Hot and muggy, but here!

Well, I'm here and settling in (and fairly amazed that I have been able to get onto the internet) and so far, so good. The 8 hour drive in sweltering heat from London yesterday ended just past a 'BIG WILLIE 14 TODAY!' sign, flapping in the wind just off the main road. After unloading all boxes, bike, suitcases etc we raced back to drop the van off, praying we wouldn't have a last minute prang, and then settled back in, both almost too exhausted to speak; certainly too tired to bother eating anything for supper. It's wet and muggy and the cows from the farm occasionally look up at the bustle going on in the house, before going back to mooing contentedly in the long grass. Hinba and I went for a quick walk through the wheat (or barley - never know the difference) fields ending up with me soaked to the skin and Hinba catching a rat which then squealed so much I ran the opposite direction before realising that I now have to be able to deal with things like this.

The freelancing worked out to begin with, despite my concerns but I struggle to get hold of people and I don't know how much I am needed. Before long I coujld need to start finding a proper 9-5 so I hope it all works out. So, that's marginally worrying, but given the amount of things I need to do to unpack and settle in, it's not something I'm worrying too much about yet. I'll worry when I get bored.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home