From rat race to jungle: adventures in wonderland

Charting the adventures of a twenty something, leaving the 'better the devil you know' of London, and heading out to rural ayrshire for six months to live with boyfriend, before jetting to central america, for a 4 month expedition in the jungle.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Getting back to normality

I'm relieved to say my reverse culture-shock only lasted about 5 minutes. As soon as I immersed myself in British culture, I felt truly at home again. Quite randomly, the first thing Hugo and I did on getting back to our little cottage, was build a garden table out of a felled tree. I think he was trying to prove a point, as I had been going on about how brilliant at carpentry I now am, following all the construction I did on Raleigh. Needless to say, my three-legged attempt didn't stand up (at all) and so I swallowed my pride and stood back as he hammered a fourth leg on. Anyhow, it now sits under the apple tree where we have strung up our Nicaraguan hammock, and will be a cracking place to rest a G&T on a Sunday afternoon.

I had such fun galavanting about the UK last week catching up with people. From the 6 lambs born at home, to meeting my new goddaughter, Skye, to catching up with so many friends. I had a hilarious breakfast with my old boss, Tim Loughton MP on the terrace at Parliament, which re-charged my interest in getting involved up here in Scotland. I just love the atmosphere of the place and all the running around with bills and green papers tucked under arms.

On the work front, now that I am back in Glasgow, things have progressed (although I can't really believe my luck...). In a very exciting twist, I have been promoted to Associate Director at Taylor McKenzie! It seems ridiculous that a year ago when I got to Scotland I actually had to temp at Arnold Clark, and considered being a chef in an Italian restaurant because of the difficulty in finding a job, and now here I am! It seems too good to be trued that I went away for 4 months, had the time of my life in Central America on Raleigh, and then got promoted. If only life was always this easy.

Part of the reason for my quite ridiculous promotion is due to the website which I re-branded before Christmas. The site is still: www.taylormckenzieuk.com and it was my concept (including the tagline: 'who said curiosity killed the cat?') Anyhow, it launched the week that I left and it has attracted lots of potential clients and potential employees, so thank goodness for that.

You may think the photo a little random, especially as I have no idea who the child is, but I thought I'd include it as I took it today at lunchtime in the city centre, just before a rainfall deluge, and love that that the camera focused on the little boy, allowing the rest of the world to be as dizzy around him as he surely was feeling. A little bit like me.

The pressure is truly on now to be uber creative.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new job!

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home