From rat race to jungle: adventures in wonderland

Charting the adventures of a twenty something, leaving the 'better the devil you know' of London, and heading out to rural ayrshire for six months to live with boyfriend, before jetting to central america, for a 4 month expedition in the jungle.

Monday, June 17, 2013

Time for a practical joke

I had a hectic week last week what with working all 5 days (shock horror) with the last two days in London an an art fair.  I work for the art fair in a sponsorship capacity and after all my meetings, I found myself with some time available and a water colour workshop just starting up. 

Presented with some gorgeous Faber-Castell watercolours, we were instructed to paint what we could see in front of us.  Scattered on the table were a series of birds, butterflies, frogs, gheckos, branches, twigs and other creatures of a woodland. 

Enjoying the full-immersion into art, having been surrounded by amazing contemporary art for the last 24 hours, I got stuck in and ended up painting this slightly infantile painting of a bird, butterfly and frog.  It took all of 6 minutes and I had to give up my place to a pair of 5 year olds who were desperate to paint some monsters and snakes. 

I decided to play a joke on my husband - I took a photo and emailed it to him saying I'd found this AMAZING piece of art for only £450 - I was delighted and I was sure he'd love it.  I really didn't expect him to fall for this, but he did - hook line and sinker!  When I was on my way back to Luton later that day, I called him and he said he'd opened the image up and groaned, leading to all of his team crowding round his desk and laughing at his irresponsible wife.  But, he was sure it would be 'much better' in real life and he was sure he would 'grow to like it' too!  At this point I burst out laughing and told him that I had done it myself.  His relief was palpable.  Basically he felt like he'd saved £450 just like that, so now he is in a fantastic mood and is being truly sweet to me. 

I must definitely play more jokes in the future - that, and possibly sell my artwork...£45 anyone??

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Definitely some influence of Fauvism there...
Great to see you at the AAF.
X

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home