From rat race to jungle: adventures in wonderland

Charting the adventures of a twenty something, leaving the 'better the devil you know' of London, and heading out to rural ayrshire for six months to live with boyfriend, before jetting to central america, for a 4 month expedition in the jungle.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Swimming pools and fairy cakes

It has been an action packed week since my last entry. The job situation remains pretty bleak, but I have been busy in other ways (more heartwarming, some would say).

Having decided to race in a half marathon (dressed as a giant spider) in October as part of my fundraising strategy for Raleigh, I went for a six mile training run in Edinburgh on Wednesday with two friends. We ran from the Meadows along to arthurs seat, up to the top, round the back and back to the flat. It was not easy - I nearly died. There is no way I'm going to be able to race at all, let alone with six giant legs attached to me, unless I get a sturdy programme underway. On the drive back, with weary legs and a weary heart, I decided that my new regime should include me running the two and a bit miles to the nearest village to get milk and papers (with recruitment sections) and then back again. And maybe stop drinking wine mid-week. That should do the trick.

Thursday saw me back at Motive8 where along with the venturers, I had to complete a 250m swim test (presumably there will be quite a bit of swimming to be done on expedition...) The record held amongst the venturers is about 4m 30s and having competed in a triathlon last year, I was determined to beat it. However, having successfully and without loss of life or limb on Glasgow's underground network, brought all 8 or 9 excited and squabbling venturers along to the pools, I was almost too tired to get changed. Once in the pool, I then noted with my eagle eye that two of the kids were hovering near the edge of the pool rather than warming up along with everyone else.

"CUMMON, GET GOING THEN!" I yelled motivationally. And started swimming myself to prove how much fun it was. As I was busy dodging the man scooping bits of sick out the pool with his metal bowl-on-a-stick thing, I hadn't noticed that they weren't following my good example. On looking back and seeing their lack of progress, I added "KICK YOUR LEGS SILLY!" and then almost died of embarasment when one of them, trying very very hard to leave the edge of the pool but starting to splash and splutter and kick and make a helluva racket, managed to communicate to me that neither of them knew how to swim at all. Before being dismissed of my volunteering role, I quickly gave them utterly useless lessons about what I think they should do in order to learn to swim, and then gratefully went off to try my swim test (I didn't manage it in under 4m 3os...)

Friday found me stuffing envelopes for the Ayr Conservative Association (not the most obvious career move, I agree), getting crosser and crosser as the whole point of me doing what I want for a whole year, is to enjoy myself, and I was definitely not enjoying myself on Friday morning. However, I did mention that this weekend I was going to sell some cakes to fundraise for Raleigh and sure enough we all had some 'blue sky thinking' (think Vicar of Dibley weekly meetings) about what I could do to raise some money.

"Well, you'll never make money selling cakes dear"
"Nay hen, that's a silly idea, cakes! Honestly!"
"Well pet, my great aunts sister once made a cake which sold for about 90p"

And other generally helpful comments were made.

"A tombola!"
ME: but I don't have a tombola whatsit

"A raffle!"
ME: I don't have anything to raffle away!

"Guess teddy's birthday!"
ME: GREAT - I'll go and buy a teddy
"No silly! You need someone to donate the teddy"
ME: Nevermind - I don't know anyone to ask to donate me a teddy, so once I've stuffed these [sodding] envelopes I'll go and get one
"Alright pet"

And that was that. But lo and behold, the kind ladies of the Ayr Conservative Association went and bought me a 3 foot giant teddy bear that morning, and Big Ted (wearing my red Raleigh t-shirt) ended up earning more money than 41 fairy cakes put together.

On the Ardmaddy Fete day itself, my little stall had three events - cakes - which all sold incidentally, with some people coming back for more, (perhaps another venture for me here would be for me to have a "CAKES FOR SALE, £8" sign off the main road), using the Kind Ladies of the Ayr Conservative Association's donation, we also had Guess Big Ted's birthday, (which was incidentally the date that I plan to leave for Central America next year - 5th Jan) and the grand finale was a cross country treasure hunt, which saw more family arguments, threats of divorce and crying children than we meant to happen, but it was a good money spinner and that's the main thing.

Only another £1200 to go...

All fundraising ideas very very welcome..!

Oh, and on getting back from Oban this morning, I went to check my beloved veggie patch and I was rather thrilled to see that not only are the carrots absolutely thriving, but some newly planted raddishes are doing fantastically. I think this is all down to my new gardening skills learnt from a book my brother sent up (in desperation probably at what his sister is getting up to). Anyhow, it was a valuable present and my veggie patch is looking marvellous.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Al - wow, just come across this - PLEASE keep this up as makes the mid-afternoon at work go by so much faster!
So lovely chatting on Sunday - thank you - and really looking forward to seeing you and Hugo on the 21st October if not before!
Ideas for fund raising - will have a think but myabe if you ran as a chicken....?
xxxx

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home