From rat race to jungle: adventures in wonderland

Charting the adventures of a twenty something, leaving the 'better the devil you know' of London, and heading out to rural ayrshire for six months to live with boyfriend, before jetting to central america, for a 4 month expedition in the jungle.

Monday, September 18, 2006

An hour gone in a heartbeat

It's nearly midnight and I'm trying to finish some freelancing before falling into bed, with the waft of Hinba's farts far behind me. In my panic at not having any money and considering selling a kidney or even signing a death wish with Parexel to earn a bit of extra cash (ok, no, even I would never do that) I have now got so much on, that the last week or so have meant getting up along with Hugo's awful snooze alarm (set at 6.50...WHO GETS UP AT 6.50 in AYRSHIRE?), flopping in front of my laptop, downloading the latest piece of work from London, trogging away and then at 8.45, putting computer in rucksack (waterproof), putting Hinba-fart-pants on a lead and cycling the 2 miles it is to the office. At 5.45 I put the computer back in the rucksack, rouse Hinba from my feet, and cycle the two miles back again, only to re-assemble it, with cup of tea in hand and start my London freelancing again.

What ever happened to the rural, cake-making, chicken rearing, vegetable-gardening dream? Well, basically I panicked and tried to get a few balls moving, which to my surprise has worked. And also, well, it's been rainy and I've never been the sort of person to sit around twiddling my thumbs (not much gardening you can do for a start).

I have, however been appalled to learn from a good friend of mine, learned in the ways of blogging, that I have been breaking all sorts of unsaid (unread in my case) blogging rules in the wonderful planet bloggosphere. Apparently I should have been linking everything up so you can see what I'm referring to. So, from here on, that's what I will do, in the hope that all those I have offended thus far will realise I had no clue until this point.

As a starter, here's a link to Go Ape! which is where I am gainfully employed for half the week - absolutely fantastic for hen and stag weekends as you have to get around quite a hairy rope course with leaps into thin air, from 30/40/50 foot platforms. I went a few months ago with my ma and Hugo and I was seriously impressed to see mum leap off a 50 foot platform into mid air, and catch onto a massive tarzan net. (Really strange that as I was harnessing myself up, I had no idea that a few months on I would be working for them).

Other good news is that I've been actually offered a job in the fair city of Glasgow, so two days a week will find me helping with new business development for Taylor McKenzie (I think website development may be a priority...)

I was very excited on Friday to be going in to meet the Honourable Member for Witney at a local government conference (again, this was through the kind ladies of the Ayr Conservative Association - amazing where a bit of leafleting gets you..!) but I was devastated to hear that he had flu and wasn't going to be there. Sigh. So, instead of Prince Charming, we had 'BattleAxe Bella' (her own words, I promise!).

However, on my way out of Ayr, I did manage to do some market research for what children like reading/parents like buying etc of my own in Ayr's very own Ottakers, and suffice to say, I feel I should do a little more editing of 'Sammy and the Crocodile' before I'm gonna send it out.

For now, I'm off. Another guff from a contented asleep Hinba is enough to spur me on my last few slides of this project. 'Sammy' will have to wait. This week, like my last, is going to have to be dedicated to my bank account.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home