From rat race to jungle: adventures in wonderland

Charting the adventures of a twenty something, leaving the 'better the devil you know' of London, and heading out to rural ayrshire for six months to live with boyfriend, before jetting to central america, for a 4 month expedition in the jungle.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Butter Dishes, Bridges and Rings

It was Hugo's suprise birthday weekend this last weekend, and I had been planning the trip to Dublin for ages. Ireland was somewhere he'd never been, and rather than risk another unknown European City mini-break (see January) I thought I'd play it safe and at the very least we'd be able to drink a lot of Guiness.

Unfortunately, the hotel I had booked (The Castleknock Country Club and Hotel) was a huge corporate strogosphere straddling a no-mans land between Dublin's Phoenix Park and a very fancy golf club, miles from the nearest transport link and filled with hideous red carpets. So, it was with rising blood pressure that I fell asleep on the Friday night, wondering why I hadn't applied to the EU for some funding to cover the cost of a weekend in Dublin (almost the most expensive city in Europe) and booked somewhere central, and boutiquey instead.

The next morning, my heart sank as I opened my eyes to see the view of the massive carpark from the bedroom window, and tried to go back to sleep. This turned out to be a fruitless task as Hugo announced he had a present for me, which confused me a bit given it was his birthday. So, I sat up and looked expectant as he leapt across the room and hid something behind his back. I started to wake up a little more. Handing me the gift with the words 'guess what?' written on the tissue paper of what was very clearly a butter dish, I unwrapped it and looked at my new butter dish in my hands. I was quite confused at this point. "Now comes the serious bit" he annouced and slid onto the floor, taking a smaller box out of the butter dish. My heart started going wild.

He then said those three words every girl has dreamt about hearing:

"Will you marry me?"

And I looked at him, kneeling on the floor, holding a ring and beaming at me with a huge grin, and I yelled "YES" and flung myself over at him, all thoughts of hideous red carpets and horrible views from the window forgotten.

After a massive Irish breakfast where we flipped from the stunned 'oh.my.god we're getting married' to laughing hysterics, attracting the snarly glances from other hotel guests, we walked through 8 miles of Phoenix Park into Dublin city centre, and there, Hugo proposed again, on the Ha'penny Bridge (at my request - now that you've done it once, why not get proposed to a whole load of times??) and a wonderfully champagne-fuelled weekend ensued. I would definitely recommend Dublin for a place to get engaged in. It was wonderful and now that I am snowed under at work, my blood pressure soaring because of client / boss demands I take 2 minutes every so often to remember 'argh, I am engaged, I am marrying Hugo!" and this gives me a wonderful moment of total work bullsh*t immunity.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Strictly speaking, "Will you marry me" is four words. :p

Congrats little sis! XXX

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great, great news. Just heard and left message on your mobile but may well be an old number. Congratulations to you both.

Would love to catch up - I have three and a half weeks till "splashdown" as someone attractively termed it, then it is all change... help ...

lots of love in meantime,

Rosie

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home