From rat race to jungle: adventures in wonderland

Charting the adventures of a twenty something, leaving the 'better the devil you know' of London, and heading out to rural ayrshire for six months to live with boyfriend, before jetting to central america, for a 4 month expedition in the jungle.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

A really Raleigh update

This week seems to be going in a similar vein to the last, with me going increasingly loopy with this unsustainable work-work regime I've got going here. I've just sent a 68 page powerpoint presentation to London which is the result of 16 hours work, and I have 6 more 61 page presentations to go tomorrow morning. If I get up in 2 hours time, I should almost manage to get them done. I don't think I've worked this hard since uni.

But, as I don't want it to seem that leaving a well paid but dull dull dull lobbying job in a London agency means a life of 24 hour working days but only 50p in the bank, here's what I'm up to:

Half marathon - 4 weeks and counting. I can now run 6 miles no sweat. I'm aiming to do 8 miles this weekend in Edinburgh (at least, that's what I've told Hugo but he'll never know if I don't do it..) I have cut down on wine midweek, (only because I don't have a social life at the moment) but other than making me tetchy, it hasn't quite yielded the fitness results I was hoping for. So I'm moving onto plan b - wishful thinking that cross-training with my squash regime is going to help (well, I won my second game last night, so even if it's not helping my stamina, it's certainly helping in some respect) and we did some canoeing over the weekend which was hilarious. However, actually going out and running is tricky here as we seem to live on a motorway.

Fundraising - £700 left to raise - I'm organising a wine and cheese evening which is coming up and is quite an interesting event to be working on. Moet and Chandon are supplying the wines and champagnes so it's going to be a real treat for the lovely people of Ayrshire (that reminds me - must ask the kind ladies of the Ayr Conservative Association).

Vaccinations - help - most of them due - don't have a doctor up here, must register

Passport - invalidated as a result of a soaking in Niagra falls, must renew

Flights - £700 and rising, have no money in so can't buy. Brilliant. Must find travel agent who let you book with a small (e.g. 50p) deposit and pay next year.

Suddenly it seems I have a heck of a lot to organise and I am feeling a little bemused by it all. It seemed so much easier on my gap year when heading off to the middle of Zimbabwe seemed to be a piece of cake. My only moment of panic back then was when we had to get out of the minibus once we'd arrived at the school we were to teach at. It was at that point only that it dawned on me what I'd got myself into and how remote it was (no phones, no post office, certainly no mobiles, blackberries or use of internet. We even found ourselves teaching music to the primary school kids for 9 weeks in return for a phonecall - I really hope my negotiating skills have improved).

I think perhaps once I get all of the above done, I'll feel more prepared. If only I had the time to do it...!! Right, from now on, it's time to worry less about my bank balance and prioritise Raleigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home