From rat race to jungle: adventures in wonderland

Charting the adventures of a twenty something, leaving the 'better the devil you know' of London, and heading out to rural ayrshire for six months to live with boyfriend, before jetting to central america, for a 4 month expedition in the jungle.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Disaster!

As I sit here in Go Ape Operations HQ, the dying light of day sending a warm orange glow across the fields and through my window, harps on classic FM tinkling and Hinba asleep in front of the gas burner, it is with great sadness that I announce my resignation from the Jedburgh half marathon in 2 weekends time.

Following a cross country training run (7 miles) on Sunday, not only did I end up with a nosebleed, but I also really hurt my knee.

Whether it was the large amount of wine/vodka/port etc consumed the night before, or the fact that I didn't warm up properly to begin with, who knows. The fact is I couldn't bend my right leg for 24 hours without feeling queasy and by the time I manage to train on it again, I'll only have a few days before the race.

If I go ahead and do it, I risk hurting it properly which would be a silly thing to do before going away for 4 months - it's bad enough having wierd spurs growing out of the back of my heels - see photo

Anyhow, it's the wine and cheese evening tomorrow night and FINGERS CROSSED it's all under control. I spent £30 on dark chocolate today to go with the cognac that Moet Hennessy is donating for the event, and I must say, it all looks rather good. I am not going to tempt the gods though by assuming it's all going to be fine, so I'll carry on thinking it's going to be a massive disaster and perhaps I'll be able to write a glowing post-event summary towards the end of the week.

Other update:

Still no sign of passport.

Feisty letter sent to bank today, (trying to reclaim that £600 of 'penalties').

Deposit placed on flights.

Still to do:

Dental check-up(quite tricky finding a dentist willing to take new patients on though)

Ditto doctor for vaccinations

Find £££ hidden in forgotten account to pay the outstanding amount on my flights

CRB form (which dependant on getting my passport back as I need the number)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exotic diseases are more fun than vaccinations, and statistically - happen less frequently.

Cross it off from your 'to do' list and speculate with enthused junkiness on a week in Guatemala city hospital with a morphine drip on 'Free flow' mode...

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home