From rat race to jungle: adventures in wonderland

Charting the adventures of a twenty something, leaving the 'better the devil you know' of London, and heading out to rural ayrshire for six months to live with boyfriend, before jetting to central america, for a 4 month expedition in the jungle.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The madness of San Jose

Well, I have arrived slightly unhinged in the mad bad city of San Jose, teeming with honking cars, open fires, hookers advertising their wares, rats, bats and a whole lot more that I am about to find out about. The journey from Quepos took 5 hours (2 more than advertised on the timetable...) but I am relieved to be in one piece having witnessed 3 car accidents on the way. Tomorrow I am meeting up with about 4 or 5 other Raleigh staff who have arrived here and we will find our way east to Turrialba, home of CATIE, the ecological research centre. Also home to a massive volcano and white water rafting river, which I think we are going to have a go at. Knowing this is the last of my ability to have luxory, I have booked into the fabulous Hotel Don Carlos, well recommended if you are heading in this direction. It is complete with complimentary cocktail, mini-rainforest and waterfall in the courtyard and the rooms are gigantic with big soft bouncy beds, which are essential given that from tomorrow onwards it is a thermarest mat for me.

The Central Pacific region of Jacos down to Dominical is absolutely stunning, few villages and fewer people, not a shop selling a postcard in sight in Matapalo, but if you like the idea of being the only person in about 4km on a beach, with a bath temperature ocean, coconut trees and thatched bars which sell ice cold Imperial beer, then it is the place to go.

I have just heard from a girl from Raleigh who is in town so am going to brave the red cabs (thanks for the taxi meter advice!!) and see what happens. As well as the last bed I will have in 3 months, tonight´s will be the last alcohol (according to Raleigh...) so I may as well make the most of it. I will try to blog again once I find out where my project site is, and hope to have lots of stories about what I am up to. Until then, asta luego...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home