From rat race to jungle: adventures in wonderland

Charting the adventures of a twenty something, leaving the 'better the devil you know' of London, and heading out to rural ayrshire for six months to live with boyfriend, before jetting to central america, for a 4 month expedition in the jungle.

Monday, December 18, 2006

Some of my Raleigh Rules...

I've just seen these warnings in my Risk Assessment document from Raleigh (105 pages long...I'm skim reading) and thought they were reasonably entertaining...having said that I'm relieved I'm having my rabies jabs, as I heard a terrible story about a canadian girl canoeing in Lake Nicaragua whose boat bashed into a rock on an island (big waves or something) and provoked a rabid money to jump on her and munch her arm. She ended up flying home via medical treatment in Honduras and had to go through 6 months of rabies treatment, including 27 injections into her stomach, before getting the all clear.

Also, interestingly, my BCG tester has come up positive! This means I've been exposed to TB and have some natural antibodies. Must have been from sitting on the tube in London all those years. ("In 2003, almost half of all tuberculosis cases reported in England and Wales were from London, where the incidence was almost five times higher than in the rest of England and Wales.")

'scuse any spelling mistakes, I can see my breath in here and hands are frozen.

Here goes, 'how to survive a raleigh expedition'...

"Great care should be taken in environments populated by rabid animals particularly bats, as their faeces when dissolved to a dust, can become airborne & inhaled, thus causing infection."

Lovely, but this is just the tip of the iceberg..

"Fires attract scorpions and snakes – do not sleep within 10 metres of a fire."
But this contrasts slightly with the lion advice:
"Lions will be deterred by fire. If appropriate, keep a fire alight throughout the night. "

And apparently snakes can move very fast over short distances and teh best thing to do is...run.

Makes a sharp contrast to freezing ayrshire where the biggest danger to me are the neds and the weegies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home