From rat race to jungle: adventures in wonderland

Charting the adventures of a twenty something, leaving the 'better the devil you know' of London, and heading out to rural ayrshire for six months to live with boyfriend, before jetting to central america, for a 4 month expedition in the jungle.

Friday, November 10, 2006

Parsley Experiment


Right, with apologies for the delay in getting these photos on the web (blame BT Broadband which has gone kaput at home, so I'm doing this from the office), here is my final installment of the Parsley Experiment.

photo 1: parsley in a mug

The good news is that it's growing. The bad news is that the roots have grown out of the soil and it's all coming to a bitter end. The shoots are weak, the colour is peaky and the stems look rather droopy. This is a case of the hare and the tortoise and I fear, triump is going to evade my previous number 1 growers.

Photo 2: parsley within the jamjar

With excitement I notice two things; one is that the herb has managed to
reach over the confines of the jamjar despite all odds. Secondly, the size of the leaf is much larger and healthier than demonstrated that growing within the mug. Maybe throwing in a few barriers to growth spurs on these little beauties...who'dda thought it?

Photo 3: parsley within the plastic container

With amazement I post this image onto my blog. This is the parsley that was so weak and feeble only 5 weeks ago. I transferred the plants into a larger plastic container and it would be fair to say the improvement has been unlimited. With much more soil and room to spread, these have become the happiest of the lot.

However, it is time to make a confession.

Being rather hasty in my blogging and rather ditzy in my research, I overlooked one key factor.
Reading the label. After seeing the rather coriander-esque features developing in my herbs, and after tasting them, I have realised with rather red cheeks, that this whole experiment has NOT been about parsley after all. I have, unwittingly, grown a whole load of corriander, which some have been known to describe as 'the devil's food'. An unfair comment I think; it goes very well with meatballs and scrambled eggs, a well known Mauchline delicacy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home