From rat race to jungle: adventures in wonderland

Charting the adventures of a twenty something, leaving the 'better the devil you know' of London, and heading out to rural ayrshire for six months to live with boyfriend, before jetting to central america, for a 4 month expedition in the jungle.

Friday, November 03, 2006

Sheep, farmers, sheep, farmers


Argh, too many sheep, too many farmers talking about sheep, and too many anti-English jokes. I need some CITY TIME!

Last night was spent (5 hours of it) at the local Farmer's dinner. I think the point that my sense of humour evaporated, unfortunately for Hugo, was about half an hour before actually getting to the dinner, when I found myself locked out of the house with the swirling mists enveloping my car in the cold frosty farm courtyard. I've been here over 4 months and we still only have one set of keys. Unbelievable.

It's fair to say, I applied my make up with attitude last night. Not that I needed to - I was the youngest person on my table by about 30 years (not counting hugo). I had some interesting conversations about working in Glasgow, moving to Scotland and Raleigh.

"So, where are you going then?"

"Costa Rica or Nicaragua - we won't know until we get there"

"Ah, lovely. I've never been to South America."

"Er, nor have I, but I'm looking forward to going to Central America"

"Yes, yes, I came close once. I nearly had a business trip to Rio."

"Riiiight. And have you been to Central America?"

A sharp glance

"Central America? God no"

and that, generally is how conversations about the geography of Costa Rica go.

but I shouldn't be too judgemental. I dated a guy (a lawyer nonetheless) a couple of years ago who said in reply to my comment about wanting to go to Costa Rica (yes, it's been a long-held desire):

"Costa Rica? I'd rather go futher afield than Europe this summer"
ARGH

Needless to say, that one was nipped in the bud fairly quickly.

Anyhow, I'm off to Tiverton tomorrow for a hen weekend, so although I won't be getting much in the way of bright neon lights, I will be going for long country walks with lots of good girl friends, and that's almost as good.

Photo is from the peak at Degnish, Argyl (West Coast)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Applying make-up with attitude?
Quelle hurreur!
Otis

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home