From rat race to jungle: adventures in wonderland

Charting the adventures of a twenty something, leaving the 'better the devil you know' of London, and heading out to rural ayrshire for six months to live with boyfriend, before jetting to central america, for a 4 month expedition in the jungle.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Moving House

We have moved house. I am traumatised by the amount of effort it has taken and the sheer volume of work still to be done. Having moved up from England 4 months ago, with a little white van containing all my precious posessions, and spending a couple of weeks unpacking with relish and with all the time in the world, it was a totally different experience trying to shift a whole houseload of goods in just a weekend, clean house # 1, and unpack house # 2. The experience wasn't helped by a series of disasters, and disaster as we know, always comes in threes. Three being a special number, the father, the son and the holy ghost being the original muckers.

Disaster Number 1: in a slight temper having been up since 8am, not eaten since breakfast and hating the torrential rainstorm that decided to happen THE day we were moving, I reversed my little blue car without due care and attention...into a trailer. The trailer was fine. The bumper was ripped off my car. I found the whole scene of watching Hugo open his car door, run towards me and try to push it back in, quite wierd, almost in slow motion. I opened my dashboard and opened a Fox's boiled sweet. It was delicious. The car is ok, we pushed it back in, afterall, that's what bumpers are for.

Disaster Number 2: meltdown in the barn after finding out that a friend of hugo's needed a bed for the night. The poor bloke had to get a flight early the next morning from Prestwick (we live near the airport) and I had a 'THIS IS NOT A HOTEL' moment, culminating in me throwing the logs we were collecting at the time, in a rage at Hugo holding the wheelbarrow.

Disaster Number 3: Hugo, getting his own back following disaster Number 2, asked me to help carry a chest of drawers from 1 part of the house to the other. As I lifted it, I heard this wierd cracking noise and my whole back shift. The chest was dropped onto the floor as I did. We carried on carrying boxes, shifting furniture all day, and the result was I had a totally frozen back for the rest of the evening / night and it is still crunching now. Images of being chucked off Raleigh for being paralysed engulfed my dreams that night. (Not a drama queen or anything). Anyhow, I'm seeing an osteopath on Thursday just before I fly to London for my development weekend with Raleigh when I get to meet all other staff (hurrah!) so hopefully he'll sort that out.

As for the house, well, it is absolutely gorgeous with loads of room, set on the bank of a river with an enormous garden. Well worth three little disasters I think.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

NOT a drama queen or ANYTHING!
Seriously though, hope you're doing ok. See you soon...yes, I do read your blog.

Lawrence

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home