From rat race to jungle: adventures in wonderland

Charting the adventures of a twenty something, leaving the 'better the devil you know' of London, and heading out to rural ayrshire for six months to live with boyfriend, before jetting to central america, for a 4 month expedition in the jungle.

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Rain, rain and monkeys

I think I need a SAD lamp. It's dark when I wake up, it's dark when I go to bed and even though we moved house 2 weeks ago, I haven't seen my new house yet in daylight. Glasgow seems to be darker than London, possibly due to the lack of street lighting and possibly because of the hills (which must deflect the light at odd angles. My clever brothers could probably explain this). If you look at it objectively and squint a little, Central Glasgow could be like San Francisco. It's cold and misty most of the time and it's got those crazy hills that level out at cross roads. But that's really where the similarity ends. San Francisco is quite cool whereas Glasgow is just depressing.

In my two hours in central london this last weekend, I sat in a cafe on the Kings Road with two great friends, drinking hot chocolate, and it felt so rich and safe. Everyone is chic in London. London is beautiful.

So, I'm feeling quite gloomy at the moment at being here in the cold and wet, horizontal rain blowing in from the street whenever you open the front door, and never seeing the light of day. I am sick and tired of being cold and wet and wrapping my icy hands around a hot cup of coffee that never gets drunk because I'm sick to death of instant coffee. My one solace is Where the Monkey Sleeps - a deli in the centre of town where you can get great sandwiches and coffees and feel almost trendy simply by being there in the first place, surrounded by all the other Glasgow trendies. (If there is such a thing. Perhaps I should re-qualify it as 'girls who wear red slouch boots over leggings and long t-shirts' and 'men who don't carry flick knives')

But, it's only 8 or 9 weeks to go now til I leave for Central America, and even though I remain a little freaked out following my 'development weekend' due to the intensity of the weekend and the people, and (to answer the comment received today) I don't have a scooby do which project I'll be working on I know one thing: I won't be in need of a SAD lamp. Possibly in need of a good bar of soap and some strong tick tweezers though... Goodness, who would have thought it..?

The thought of needing tick tweezers makes me almost happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home