From rat race to jungle: adventures in wonderland

Charting the adventures of a twenty something, leaving the 'better the devil you know' of London, and heading out to rural ayrshire for six months to live with boyfriend, before jetting to central america, for a 4 month expedition in the jungle.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

So long Jimmy

It's been a while since my last entry, mainly because I've been nowhere near a computer over the last fortnight and I've had little to blog. But, with 12 days or so to go, I'm getting ground rush and all of a sudden it's going to be 'so long jimmy' and 'hola costa rica'.

Christmas and New Year were great -lots of balls (the New Club ball in Edinburgh - good views from the balcony...Oban ball with Kate, Phil, Maryn, Catherine and Peter - so good to see some good friends), a wedding in Loughborough, snowboarding in Tamworth Snow Dome (hilarious) dying my blonde hair quite a dark wintery brunette, (not quite sure why - I only went in for a cut but the girl was quite persuasive..); lots of wedding chat with my big brother who's marrying one of my best friends in September :-) and finding out my little brother has beaten me to it by flying off to Costa Rica for Christmas with dad.

'Costa Rica for Christmas with Dad'...did I mention that dad lives out there? Maybe not... Well, there you go, he does. I fly out on 16th Jan (tues after next) to stay with him for 8 days in the Manuel Antonio National Park, amidst a small collection of Italian expats. On the 23rd Jan we're heading back to San Jose where I'm meeting my 07B Raleigh International group at the airport sometime in the afternoon. Back to the group therapy, I can't wait... Going out early should be quite a good way of acclimatising and getting my ear used to Spanish before throwing myself into the expedition, and hopefully I'll pick up a bit of a tan, dye my hair back to blonde, and maybe manage to avoid the sharks and get some surfing in as well.

Here's my Raleigh address - all letters especially public notices welcome (big congrats to lizzie and KK by the way)

Expedition 07B
Raleigh International
Apartado Postal 17
Codigo Postal 7170
CATIE
Costa Rica

Over Christmas with time to think, I have decided that my current plan (I say 'current' with self awareness) is to move to Edinburgh, rather than back to Ayrshire, once I get back. I've also ruled out london on the basis that I'm not quite ready to come back yet. I'll carry on working at Taylor McKenzie (a relief not to have to job hunt as soon as I get back) but having tried living in the middle of nowhere, when I get back in May I'll be ready for some city living once again.

When I get back, it's going to be time to get my career back on track, start racing again (NY Marathon 2007 is definitely on the horizon, hopefully for Alzheimer's Research) and swoosh around in cocktail bars people watching. I miss people, shops, interaction, being busy, being pulled in all directions, having lots to do and people to be with. The problem with living in the middle of nowhere (albeit on a beautiful country estate), is that you lose everything that you did before you moved there, simply because in the middle of nowhere, it's not there anymore.

I have missed the entertainment of life over these last few winter months. Scotland is the best small country in the world in the summer, but quite a tough place to be if you're in a rural area in the depths of winter. (I say depths of winter, but really, the winter has only just begin).

But now with 12 days to go, one rabies injection left and a couple of last minute things to pack, I have the feeling I am about to go through the next loop de loop of the roller coaster that is my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home