From rat race to jungle: adventures in wonderland

Charting the adventures of a twenty something, leaving the 'better the devil you know' of London, and heading out to rural ayrshire for six months to live with boyfriend, before jetting to central america, for a 4 month expedition in the jungle.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Spiders, wild horses and long drops

It is half seven on a Sunday night, and along with the rest of the staff in Turrialba, I have been released from Fieldbase for a couple of hours to make contact with the rest of the world. My first 5 days on Raleigh have been exhausting. Arriving at camp with a few others who I had met up with in San Jose, we were shown our 9-man army tents dripping with humidity and spiders. Wooden crates for the floor and black bin liners on top to cover the many holes. No matter how pretty we told each other we had made it with mosquito nets strung from makeshift ropes, it just didnt cut it as home. But, home it has been for us since we have been there. It has been quite an intense social and learning experience so far. We get up at half 5 and get to bed at half nine or ten. Every hour of every day is filled with lectures or practical workshops. I can now string up and tune a radio, I can recite the phonetic alphabet, I can sort out a casualty witha broken femur, carry a stretcher half a kilometer up a jungle track, cross a river with a 20kg pack on, build a basher which wont collapse half way through the night (I was nervous) and dig a long drop for 8 people which wont impact the environment. I can also survive on rice and beans 3 times a day, 5 hours sleep and no time at all to myself. It is amazing how quickly you get used to living so squalidly. 5 days ago, fieldbase seemed run down, dirty, uncomfortable and bleak. Now it feels like a 5 star hotel, having spent the last couple of days living in the mud in the jungle.

Tomorrow I am off to Conte Buricka, (sp?) on the Panamaian boader. It will take a couple of days to get there, and I go with a medic and a translator as we are going to be working within an indiginous reserve with people whose first language isnt Spanish but a language all to themselves, maybe filled with clicks and mad eye rolls, who knows. Once we get dropped off in Panama, we are met by someone whose name begins with Don...and then taken 8 or 9 hours trekking along the coast between tides, before we can climb the hill - mountain up to the reserve. Having just survived jungle camp I do feel quite prepared for this, which is great as 5 days ago I was quite keen to trip over and accidentaly cut myself on a machete, and get CasivakĀ“ed back to the UK (Casivac is our term for Casualty Evacuation). My resolve held and I am glad. I am pretty excited about getting there and having this experience and I am getting increasingly excited about the venturers getting here and getting started.

Next update: Panama

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloody marvelous...you keep going honey! This is what you came for...
Will definatly call on you when my loo breaks or I have forgotton what the alphabet sounds like!!
Matexx

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loving the sound of it and green with envy!! So wish I was there too! Hope your freckles are coming out and the rice n beans are not playing havoc with your insides, visiting the long drop several times in the night can't be too fun.....!

Missing you lots little Al xoxoxoxoMilsxoxoxoxox

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've been trying to find you a big enough box to send all the pressies that you might enjoy: Heat magazine, Marmite, Werther's originals, some soft new socks, etc. There's just too much, so i have decided that i have to bring it all to you when 'on business' in Costa Rica in late April.... Chris xx

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home